Berkeley Lifford Hall Accountancy ServicesIQ Legal Training Alphabiolabs

Home > News

Financial support for kinship carers

The House of Commons Library has published a helpful briefing paper explaining what help is available for grandparents and other family and friends carers (also known as kinship carers) looking after children where their parents are not in a position to do so.

Financial help may be available for family and friends carers from local authorities and/or the social security/tax credits systems. Eligibility for assistance may depend upon the legal basis of the care arrangement and financial assistance may be means-tested.

The first section of the paper provides information on financial support available from local authorities for different types of kinship care arrangements, and the second gives details of the social security benefits and tax credits that may be available.

This briefing paper applies to England only.

For the briefing paper, click here.